Beginners Patchwork with Wendy Saclier
October 15 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm$220
This course is perfect for the absolute beginner who has always wanted to make a quilt. You will explore different many different techniques whilst putting together a sampler quilt.
This course goes for a duration of 8 weeks.
• Historical background.
• Glossary of patchwork and quilting terms.
• Block analysis.
• Fabric selection, use of colour and design.
• Metric and Imperial measurements.
• Preparing templates for hand piecing.
Hand piecing or paper piecing– Monkey Wrench Block.
• Pattern arrangement, cutting and assembly using hand piecing.
• Preparing templates for machine piecing (Ohio Star) and Foundation Piecing (Carol
Machine Piecing – Ohio Star Block.
• Pattern arrangement, cutting and assembly using machine piecing.
• Foundation Piecing Carol Doak Block using nonfusible interfacing.
• Tracing block design to interfacing.
• Sewing foundation block.
• Strip Piecing – Log Cabin Block
• Using a rotary cutter, ruler and mat
• Cutting and sewing the Log Cabin Block
Templatefree Piecing – Double Pinwheel Block
• Cutting and machine piecing block
• Preparing templates for appliqué (for Week 6).
Appliqué – Hand appliqué .
• Preparation for appliqué — motif choice
• Needle-turn appliqué
• Samplers to show different kinds of hand and machine appliqué
• Selecting fabric for sashes and corner-stones
• Assembly of quilt top.
• Demonstration of putting the three layers together.
• Demonstration of machine quilting — “in the ditch”.
• Free-motion machine quilting.
• Measuring borders.
Hand quilting & making a template.
• Needle and thread selection.
• Using a thimble.
• Quilting a whole-cloth block by hand.
• Demonstration — binding.
• Batting selection.
|Level of skill||Beginner|
|Duration||Every Tuesday for eight weeks|
|Hours of attendance||5:30pm- 8:30pm|