Beginners Patchwork with Wendy Saclier
October 16 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm$200
Note: This course starts on the 16th of October, and is scheduled for every Tuesday evening until December 4th
This course is perfect for the absolute beginner who has always wanted to make a quilt. You will explore different many different techniques whilst putting together a sampler quilt.
This course goes for a duration of 8 weeks.
• Historical background.
• Glossary of patchwork and quilting terms.
• Block analysis.
• Fabric selection, use of colour and design.
• Metric and Imperial measurements.
• Preparing templates for hand piecing.
Hand piecing or paper piecing– Monkey Wrench Block.
• Pattern arrangement, cutting and assembly using hand piecing.
• Preparing templates for machine piecing (Ohio Star) and Foundation Piecing (Carol
Machine Piecing – Ohio Star Block.
• Pattern arrangement, cutting and assembly using machine piecing.
• Foundation Piecing Carol Doak Block using nonfusible interfacing.
• Tracing block design to interfacing.
• Sewing foundation block.
• Strip Piecing – Log Cabin Block
• Using a rotary cutter, ruler and mat
• Cutting and sewing the Log Cabin Block
Templatefree Piecing – Double Pinwheel Block
• Cutting and machine piecing block
• Preparing templates for appliqué (for Week 6).
Appliqué – Hand appliqué .
• Preparation for appliqué — motif choice
• Needle-turn appliqué
• Samplers to show different kinds of hand and machine appliqué
• Selecting fabric for sashes and corner-stones
• Assembly of quilt top.
• Demonstration of putting the three layers together.
• Demonstration of machine quilting — “in the ditch”.
• Free-motion machine quilting.
• Measuring borders.
Hand quilting & making a template.
• Needle and thread selection.
• Using a thimble.
• Quilting a whole-cloth block by hand.
• Demonstration — binding.
• Batting selection.
|Level of skill||Beginner|
|Duration||Every Tuesday for eight weeks|
|Hours of attendance||5:30pm- 8:00pm|